Our every Sunday School class needs a class prayer leader because Sunday School cannot accomplish the work of the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) alone or in our own power. Prayerfully working together can produce great results. Too often we get busy and neglect prayer–conversation with our Lord. Every adult and youth class needs a prayer champion to keep prayer active in the lives of the class.
What does a class prayer leader do? Consider the following:
LEADS THE CLASS TO…
- PRAY. Pray for the needs of members and prospects regularly.
- SHARE. Seek, collect, and share praises and prayer requests, assigning them as needed.
- ESTABLISH PRACTICE. Establish, plan, and communicate consistent and special times of class and individual prayer emphases.
- WORSHIP. Work with the teacher and class leaders to strengthen spiritual disciplines, quiet times, and family worship.
- PRAY FOR CHURCH. Pray for the needs of the class and church, including workers (Matthew 9:38), new members, and community and world impact.
- TRAINING. Communicate and provide periodic training related to prayer and personal worship.
In a small class, the class prayer leader may have another job such as member care, outreach, secretary, etc. Check out Important Sunday School Leader Job Descriptions for additional information. In a larger class, a prayer team may be enlisted. Pray for and enlist someone to give leadership for this important role.