I read a great book by David Green, founder and CEO of Hobby Lobby. It is entitled Giving It All Away and Getting It All Back Again. I encourage you to read the book. It is one of the best books I have read about faith and generosity. I like the book because Green will make you think about how the “decisions you make today build the legacy you will leave behind.”
Are you giving away all you do through Sunday School, or are you throwing it all away? What legacy will you leave behind in your Sunday School work? What are you and your class doing that will impact others in the community and in the future? Consider some of these questions to evaluate your work:
- Have members grown into disciples that are more like Jesus?
- Are disciples growing into leaders? Have you invited others to join you in service as teachers, class leaders, etc?
- Are members becoming inviters? Have you reached new members and lost people?
- Are members mobilizing care? Have people beyond the walls of the church experienced the love of Christ through the actions of your class?
- Are members sharing in the Sunday School ministry and work?
Those questions, and others, will inform you about your class work. But the decisions you have made are what will determine the legacy. In other words, it is not too late. Pray and gather a planning team now.
Make decisions this month that will begin to love toward the outcome you (and the Lord) desire. Choose one question above and focus on moving in the direction. Praying and choosing a starting question, by the way, is a decision which moves you a step closer to determining your legacy. Little decisions, followed by implementation, made a big difference over time.
For more ideas, check out Sunday School Class Goals. Be revolutionary!