Luke 15:10 says, that “There is joy (Rejoicing) in the presence of the angels over one sinner that repents.” I have to believe that Heaven gets fired up when a sinner comes to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. There is probably a “fan fair” going on in the midst of the angels because of someone finding Christ.
So if heaven can get excited about seeing someone coming to Christ how about you and your class? Do you get excited? When is the last time your class was responsible for seeing someone come to Christ? When is the last time your class was able to celebrate someone coming to Christ? The simple question is: “Are outreach and evangelism a part of your class strategy?”
I believe one of the reasons Sunday school classes miss the opportunity of outreach is because of one word, Evangelism. The truth is most people within our churches and sitting in our Sunday schools are afraid of the “E” word. Surely we do not have people who think that evangelism is the sole responsibility of the pastor or deacons? I would think that our regular church
attendees have heard Matthew 28 enough to know that it is
the Great Commission of everyone to go and tell!
So what are some things we can do to help our classes get out of our circles and into the lives of our community?
- Pray. Start calling out the names of lost people to God. The class should have a list of lost people you are praying for.
- Intentional. Plan, promote, and pull the trigger on getting out in the community. Get involved so they know who you are.
- Consistent. Being in the community or scheduling an outreach project is not a one time thing or a once a year activity. It should be a consistent lifestyle of the class.
- Evangelistic Gatherings. Plan on the number of evangelistic gathers your class wants to do and place them on the calendar immediately. Invite, invite and invite and then do it well!
- Prospects. Have your class make a list of unchurched prospects. Begin praying over this list and begin including them in your projects.
May this help your class get started in reaching the lost in your community. May you celebrate just like heaven does the next time someone comes to Christ because it has been a result of your class being faithful to the call of reaching the lost!
Dwayne Lee serves as Associate Group Leader for the Bible Teaching/Leadership Team of the State Convention of Baptists in Ohio.