Systematic Leadership Training. A young woman volunteered to assist the Red Cross in a day long blood drive. She was required to attend two weeks of intensive training to prepare for that one day event. Those leaders in our church who are enlisted as volunteers to deal with things of the “blood of Jesus” are usually given little or no training; just get in there and do the job.
For leaders to become vibrant leaders they must be trained to do their ministry with excellence. Research shows that 98% of the fastest growing churches provide systematic plan for Sunday School Leaders. What does “systematic plan” mean? It means that training is planned and when leaders are enlisted they are told in advance about the training including the dates and their expectations to attend. Here is a strategy I used as a Sunday School Director:
The Sunday School Leader Training Plan Check-List:
- Evangelistic Training: F.A.I.T.H.; Share Jesus Without Fear; G.R.O.W.; C.A.R.E.
- Set up a S.S. Leader Training Library in hallway for check out
- Books by David Frances, LifeWay Christian Resources (Available free download at www.lifeway.com/sundayschool or for $1.00-$1.50 each from LifeWay Church Resources One LifeWay Plaza Nashville, TN. 37234):
- The Five-Step Formula for Sunday School Growth, LifeWa
- The 3-D Sunday School, LifeWay
- INVITE I-6
- The Discovery Triad
- The Connecting Sunday School
- Great Expectations
- The Transformational Class
- Other helpful Resources:
- High Expectations, Thom S. Rainer, B&H Publishing
- Revitalizing the Sunday Morning Dinosaur, Ken Hemphill, B&H Publishing
- Ten Best Practices of Sunday School, Bill Taylor, LifeWay
- The Six Core Values of Sunday School, Allan Taylor, Riverstone Group Publishing
- Sunday School Done Right, Allan Taylor, LifeWay
- Plan at least one major learning experience per year
- State/Associational Sunday School Training Events
- Ridgecrest LifeWay Conference Center – Sunday School Weekends
- Plan regular “Quick Training Segments” in S.S. Leaders Meetings. “Ten Minutes’ Tops for Teachers” Ideas:
- How to Make a Focal Wall
- How to Hook Learners Attention
- How to Jump Start Learning
- How To Keep Learners Involved
- How to Apply the Biblical Truth
When leaders are correctly discovered, connected, enlisted, and equipped for their ministry, they are more likely to love what they do because it fits them. Now, the final step is to empower them. Get out of their way and let them serve.
Phil Stone is the State Sunday School Director for the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.