ABOUT THE BOOK. Disciple-Making Encounters was released on May 1. This is a book about the much-needed change in how we prepare for Sunday School and the way we lead class time. The book focuses on two encounters: the teacher encountering God in His Word while preparing the lesson and the teacher leading the class to encounter God in His Word during class. These two encounters are life-impacting and disciple-making.
CHAPTERS. The nineteen chapters lead the reader through encounter, preparation, and presentation basics. They include the following:
- PART ONE: The First Encounter: 1. Neglect of the First Encounter, 2. God’s Word and the First Encounter, 3. Your Example Matters, 4. Seeking God in the First Encounter
- PART TWO: Preparation from the First Encounter: 1. Revolutionary Preparation Essentials, 2. Planning the Second Encounter, 3. Planning for Increased Interest and Retention, 4. Second Encounter Learning Space
- PART THREE: Second Encounter Early Moments: 1. Neglect of Opening Moments, 2. God’s Word on Teaching, 3. Early Moment Opportunities, 4. Facilitate a Second Encounter
- PART FOUR: Second Encounter Middle Moments: 1. Neglect of Second Encounter Middle Moments. 2. Transformational Second Encounter Middle Moments, 3. Second Encounter Middle Moment Challenges
- PART FIVE: Second Encounter Closing Moments : 1. Neglect of Second Encounter Closing Moments, 2. Application Steps in the Closing Moments, 3. Change Practices in the Closing Moments, 4. Continue the Second Encounter
God and His people deserve our best efforts in preparing for and leading Bible study sessions. Since it is God who has the power to change lives, encounters are needed more than lessons. Our Lord calls us to be His disciples. Following Him requires relationship, time spent together, and obedience. Sunday School encounters with God in His Word can change us and the world!
ABOUT ME. I have been teaching, working with, and leading Sunday School since I was 19. I had the great privilege of serving on the staff of five great churches in Kentucky and South Carolina. For the last twenty years, it has been my joy to observe, consult with, and train leaders from 2,400 churches in Kentucky and beyond. In addition, over the last eleven years, I have blogged about Sunday School in more than 1,250 posts. Those experiences have enriched my life and my understanding of Sunday School and led to the writing of this book, Disciple-Making Encounters: Revolutionary Sunday School.
SHARE MY PASSION. If you would like to hear more about Disciple-Making Encounters, there are several things you can do.
- Discuss. Secure copies of the book. Gather a team to read and discuss it. I have developed training material (PowerPoint presentations and handouts) to support your efforts. Just contact me to request them.
- Training Event. To schedule me to lead a training event for your church, association, group, or event, contact me at email@example.com or 502.489.3341.
PURCHASE THE BOOK. In Kentucky, order a book from the Kentucky Baptist Convention at kybaptist.org/encounters. Or get one from the publisher: anekopress.com/product/disciple-making-encounters/. Or order the Kindle version: amazon.com/Darryl-Wilson/e/B001KE7GBG. To place a discounted mulitple-copy order, contact Jeremiah Zeiset at Aneko Press at firstname.lastname@example.org. LifeWay plans to make it available in some of their stores as well.
In all you do, make disciples. Be revolutionary!